Abstract nouns refer to those intangible nouns which our five senses cannot detect. Feeling, qualities, theories, relationships, ideas and experience are expressed by abstract nouns. Literally, abstract means something that exists only in idealized form. It only exists in mind.
Abstract Noun Examples
Love, wisdom, talent, patience, success, failure, pride, justice, honesty, courage, energy, faith, misery, sadness, truth, curiosity, parenthood, intelligence, foolishness, happiness, doubt, trust, loyalty, deceit, beauty, bravery, friendship, enmity, persistence, satisfaction, misery, patriotism, fear, liberty, pleasure, peace, reality, awe, omen, music
Abstract nouns are opposite of Concrete nouns. We cannot see, feel, hear, taste or smell these nouns.
Use of abstract nouns in sentences
- Failure is the pillar of success.
- Beauty lies in the eyes of beholder.
- Do not doubt my loyalty.
- World needs peace.
- Its pleasure to meet you.
- Truth cannot be hidden for a long time.
- Do no test my patience.
- Happiness and sadness are two sides of a coin.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- Childhood was the best part of my life.
Material noun is also one of the five types of nouns.
Material nouns are the names of the substances which things are made of. These types of nouns are mostly proper nouns than common nouns.
Material nouns are found in nature (animals, plants, elements) and later used by human to recreate various things of necessity.
Material Noun Examples
gold, mercury, water, milk, juice, copper, steel, iron, diamond, soap, rain, paint, perfume, deodorant, planets, ponds, soil, forests, sugar, deserts, islands, sky, moon, rock, hair, hurricane, salt, coal, coffee, tea, wood, oil, leather
Material nouns in general cannot be pluralized.
Use of material nouns in sentences
- We run a steel company.
- Among beverages I like to drink coffee in the morning.
- Her hair looks straight in the back and wavy in the front.
- Lomami Paris is my favorite perfume.
- Coal and diamond are abundant in Africa.
- Maldives is a beautiful country famous for crystal clear blue water.
- Shelly drinks two glasses of milk every day to become stronger.
- The stream in the town has been polluted by local people.
- Add some more salt in the dish to make it tastier.
- I like your silver ring. In front of it even my gold ring looks plain.
Material nouns are uncountable and in concrete form. Unlike Abstract nouns we can see, feel, and hear, taste or smell these nouns.